CDN living and working in the US on a TN

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jakep

CDN living and working in the US on a TN

Post by jakep »

Hey,

I've been living and working in the US (for a US company) on a TN visa for about 5 years. This has been my first job out of college and I do not hold any assets in Canada. The closest thing to a permanent residence in Canada is my parent's house.

All along I have been paying taxes only in the US as my employer is a US employer and I am paid in USD.

My company was just bought out by another company and we are now offered a 401(k) program with matching. Is it a good idea for me to invest in the 401(k)?

Also, is my tax situation ok or I am completely messing up?

Ideally I would like to get into IRAs and Tradtional Investment accounts for trading stocks and buying into Mutual Funds. What do I do?
worryfreeinvestor

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

Do you mean that you have been getting a new TN1 visa every year with the same company? Can you not have them get you an H1B? I ask because I do not think you are making much progress towards a green card if you just get a new TN1 annually, especially because the border guard can turn you down on a whim each year you do so.

As to your question, I don't think your immigration status has anything to do with whether your company's 401(k) is a good investment or not. As a general rule, I'd say any opportunity to shelter income and earnings is good. I just came down on a TN1 in May 2005 and am fully invested in one (actually, it's a 403(b) because I work for a non-profit).
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

Investing in a 401(k) is a good thing, especially if you are considered a non resident of Canada (which it sounds like you are). If you were a resident of Canada, then the pension contributions would be added to your Canadian income.

I think that a 401(k) is good for the following reasons:

1. You defer tax on the contributions, until retirement;
2. Your employer match is really additional deferred compensation; and
3. You get to diversify your pension portfolio - US and Canada.

Just remember that U.S. pensions normally incur a 10% withdrawal penalty (plus the tax) if you withdraw the funds prior to age 50 1/2. You should plan to keep your pension funds invested until retirement.
Mark
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Mark typo's 50 1/2 ; he meant 59 1/2
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D