Filing taxes for the first time in the US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Confused

Filing taxes for the first time in the US

Post by Confused »

Is it true that one cannot use a tax preparation software such as Turbotax when filing taxes for the first time in the US? I became a resident in 2011.

My husband is an American citizen/resident and has been filing taxes in the US for the last 10 years. This year, we are filing jointly using a tax preparation software. Since it is my first year filing in the US, can we use a software or I have to do everything on paper and not file jointly?

Thank you for your help.
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

You of course can file your taxes using software and file jointly even if its the first year you have ever filed, question is what return are you filing you have to file a 1040 full year for teh tax software to be able to handle it, it certainly will not allow you to file jointky if you do not file the same.
JG
Confused

Post by Confused »

I was iin the US for 361 days so I guess it will be considered as a full year. Would you agree?
Thanks.

[quote="JGCA"]You of course can file your taxes using software and file jointly even if its the first year you have ever filed, question is what return are you filing you have to file a 1040 full year for teh tax software to be able to handle it, it certainly will not allow you to file jointky if you do not file the same.[/quote]
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

YES, file a 1040 full yr all world income with all credits
JG