Maternity leave h1b visa

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

aucho53

Maternity leave h1b visa

Post by aucho53 »

Hi all,

Great forum, I've found so much info here!

I am just about to start the H1B process and I have a quick question. My fiancé will be coming to join me in the US from Canada shortly (we are both CDN citizens) and we are going to want to start a family soon. If I do get pregnant while on my H1B and have the baby in the US what happens? Is there anything I should know?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Generally, mat leave and other forms of employee-requested leave are accptable under H1, particularly if covered by FMLA or company policy.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
aucho53

Post by aucho53 »

thanks for the reply....as a second part to my question : Once the baby is born (it will be a US citizen) can I start a green card application through the child? Or do I need to do that through the employer that I am working for?

thanks again!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

US citizens can only sponsor parents at age 21.

If your goal is GC before 2033, you will still need employer-sponsorship.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D