Dual US/Can Citiz Spousal Sponsor and work permit question

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

DualGal

Dual US/Can Citiz Spousal Sponsor and work permit question

Post by DualGal »

Hello,
I have combed the internet and the Canadian Immigration website for the answers to my question and although I see similar questions I don't see exactly our situation answered.

My spouse (us citizen) and me (Dual Citizen - born in Canada) are living in the u.s. We both may have job opportunities in the next 4mos to a year in Canada. If we start the spousal sponsorship application now while we are in the states, but the jobs come through for either one of us prior to my husband attaining Canadian Perm Res status, is there something else we can file i.e. temp work permit for my husband to allow us to work up there while the Perm status is processing?
Thanks in advance
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

Yes , if your husband has a job offer he can apply for a work permit. Whether ot not he can obtain a work permit is open to question however. Unless he qualifies as a professional or an intra-company transferee under NAFTA the employer will normally need to show there is a shortage of Camadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada to do the job. Remuneration offered must be at least the average that the government believes is paid to employees doing the same job in thet part of Canada. The process required to demonstrate this can take a few months.
Ron Liberman
member ICCRC, No. R414399
Best Place Immigration
Web-site: http://www.bestplace.ca
DualGal

Post by DualGal »

Thank you for responding! That clears it up.