IRA withdrawal

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

moi

IRA withdrawal

Post by moi »

I am a Canadian, living in Canada, with a US IRA.
Assuming my income is less than the basic personal exemption in Canada.
If I withdraw $10,000.00 from my US IRA, and the with holding tax has been collected. In reality, will I get to claim that tax money back from the Canadian gov't through the treaty?
nelsona

Re: IRA withdrawal

Post by nelsona »

No, because you are not taxable in Canada due to low income. However, you would (and should) file a 1040NR, reporting the IRA on page one, and get most if not all your withholding back.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Fug1

Post by Fug1 »

If you're a non-resident, isn't an IRA withdrawal taxed at 15% in the USA?
pl0910001

Re: IRA withdrawal,

Post by pl0910001 »

Hello Nelsona, Just a question regarding
pl0910001

Re: IRA withdrawal, question for Nelsona

Post by pl0910001 »

Let's try this again. Nelsona, you state to fill out a non resident tax return for US taxes in order to get some of the witholding refunded. My question is, on this return , are you required to put canada sourced income? I am a canadian citizen living in Canada with an IRA and RRSP. What is the best withdrawal strategy in order to ensure that i get full credit for foreign taxes paid? Is it better to withdraw from only one or both each year? Am I better off draining the RRSP first as the minimum withdrawals in the IRA appear to be lower than those in the RRSP. Some help in a withdrawal strategy would be appreciated. Many Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1040NR by definition only includes US source income. So your RRSP withdrawal means nothing to US. The best way to get full credit on your Cdn return for US taxes paid on your IRA is to reduce the US tax by reporting the income on a 1040NR rather than simply accepting the withholding done by the IRA manager.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
moi

Post by moi »

Thank you, Nelsona.
Once I have withdrawn money from my IRA, filed my 1040nr, hopefully re-cooped some of the 15% paid...
Now do I file a Canadian return? Or am I done?
Regards.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Of course you must file a CDn return and report all the income. Whatever tax you finally paid in US will be used in Canada against your Cdn taxes on that income, if any,