When can I send in my US citizenship application?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

fishman61

When can I send in my US citizenship application?

Post by fishman61 »

My Green card was issued on July 22, 2005 through employment. My wife, daughter and I have been living in CA since 2004, we filed our green card application on Feb 1st 2005. Each time we away from US was not more than one month. From what I know is we can file US citizenship application 90 days before 5-year due. So this 5-year rule is counted from GC application date or issued date? How early can I mail in?

Another question is my wife wants to go back to her job in Canada next year, can she leave US after submit the US citizenship application? If she did not apply with me this time, can she apply later? We have a 7-year-old daughter, when can she apply?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The 5 years is counted from when you get GC. So you can submit application sometime in April.

I would strongly suggest that you wife get hers at teh same time, doing whatever is necessary to get it BEFORE leaving for canada.

Your daughter may not have to apply for citizenship. Once you are, it may be as simple as sending in a passport application at that point.

Do some reasearch, and I will too. And pos what we find here.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

I can confirm that your child will become a citizen when you do, and should then apply for a passport.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
fishman61

Post by fishman61 »

Thank you for your reply, Nelson.

Looks like by next year April when we filed the citizenship applications, my wife has to go back to her job at that time. I know it is better to go back to Canada after we have our US citizenships, but my wife has hard time to find a job in CA for past five years and 2nd income is so important with our current financial situation. what will happen if she go back to work after filing US citizenship application?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Read the guides, they will tell you the exact process tha thappens between april and july.

There is a continuous presence required at some point late in the process. Travelling during that time is not forbidden, but actaully moving out of the country might be a problem.
jade2010

Post by jade2010 »

I am filling out the US Citizenship Application now, one question is kind of confusing to me which is "how many times has your current spouse been married? " in Part 8 of the application. Our current marriage is the first for both of us, we both have not married before. So the answer should be one, right? Just want to make sure before I mail it out.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you are finding that queation confusing, I hope you study real hard for te citizenship test.
jade2010

Post by jade2010 »

English is my 2nd language, I know sometime, I read into things too much. Perhaps it is a stupid question, I thought might get some clarification from people here. Guess what? I just passed my US citizenship exam and interview, now waiting for taking the oath! Only took two days to study.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Good for you. Congrats.
peter11

Re: When can I send in my US citizenship application?

Post by peter11 »

Before sending the US citizenship application, you must consider some important things. 1. You must be 18 years of age or older. 2. You must have continuous residence in the U.S. for at least five years. 3. You must be physically present in the U.S. for at least half that time. These three things you should know before sending the US citizenship application.
zoalm95

Post by zoalm95 »

Hi,
You may file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, The 90-day early-filing rule: You may file your naturalisation application with USCIS as early as 90 days before the end of your three- or five-year wait period as a green card holder — as long as you’ve met all other eligibility criteria.
zoalm95

Post by zoalm95 »

zoalm95 wrote:
> Hi,
> You may file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, The 90-day
> early-filing rule: You may file your naturalisation application with USCIS
> as early as 90 days before the end of your three- or five-year wait period
> as a green card holder — as long as you’ve met all other eligibility
> criteria.
https://dygreencard.com/immigration-res ... -marriage/