401k Rollover to Self-Directed IRA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tgeorge

401k Rollover to Self-Directed IRA

Post by tgeorge »

Is anyone aware of any US-based (or Canadian or offshore) discount brokers that will allow a non-resident alien living in Canada top open an account?

While I've not called everyone, many of the brokers with Canadian operations require that I contact their Canadian arm due to my Canadian residency. However, the Canadian operators do not offer an IRA product.

Anyone with specific thoughts? Thanks in advance...
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

Current SEC regulations require that you use a broker in your country of residence.

Regards,

Mark T. Serbinski, CA, CPA
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Whan leaving US, it is very important that one ESTABLISH their IRA/401(k) account <b>while STILL LIVING IN US</b>.

After that, most US firms will continue to deal with you (and Cdn regulators allow it -- SEC does NOT prohibit this).

The problem is getting such an account started AFTER leaving is difficult.

A good practice is to have an IRA set up already, and then rollover your 401(k) to that firm when you leave your company.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>