F1 Visa and Vehicle

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Kara

F1 Visa and Vehicle

Post by Kara »

Hello,

I am moving to West Virginia in July for grad school. I will be there for 2 years on an F1 visa. I will be driving my car. My car is currently registered in Alberta. Can I keep my Alberta plates the whole time I am there? Or will I be required to import it?

Thanks for the help!!!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Students are not considered residents where they go to school, even from within US, so you will be able to continue driving your car without formally importing it into US. Mention this when you cross with your F1 status, and be sure to tell then that you will be coming back to AB within a year (ie for the summers). I say this because you can only do this for periods one less than 1 year at a time. This should be fine.

make sure you advise your Cdn car insurer if they will agree with this. If they don't either find another Cdn insurer who will, or then you might have to import/plate and insure in US anyways.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Kara

Post by Kara »

I won't actually be coming back to Alberta in the summers. I will be continuing to work on my research project over the summer. Ontario is only about 6 hours away though. Would I be able to drive to Ontario for a day or so and then back to the USA?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Explain your self to the border. They will decide. I'm quite sure doing a border run won't satisfy the less than one year rule.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Or ask ahead from them now. They are the gatekeepers.
Kara

Post by Kara »

I think I will do that! Thanks for your help. :D