TN Visa for ARNP (Nurse Practitioner)

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Post Reply
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:58 am

TN Visa for ARNP (Nurse Practitioner)

Post by tkuhk87 »

Just shooting a question by you guys - currently in USA on TN-1 as an RN. Am I able to use the TN-1 Visa once I am finished my Masters for my NP to work as an NP (Advanced Practice RN)?

I'm hearing conflicting things on this. A Nurse Practitioner is just an advanced practice RN w/ a Masters degree. If I'm allowed to work as an RN on a TN-1 should I not then be able to obtain TN-1 status as an NP?

Appreciate any information. This forum is great!
Posts: 18433
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona »

Advanced registered Nurses are classified primarily under the RN classification under the Dept of labor guidlines, which the CBP typically uses for determining if your job falls under a particular NAFTA category.

Thus, you should be able to get a TN for a NP job, under the RN classification. Your employer would simply describe your job details and an APRN, and request an RN category TN.

If your question then becomes whether -- for the same employer -- you would need a new TN after you switch jobs? The answer is *probably* yes, if your salary and job description are changing substantailly. You would need a new TN for a new employer, of course.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:04 am

Re: TN Visa for ARNP (Nurse Practitioner)

Post by Justinstaff »

Nurse practitioners were on this they have personal immigration formation to get on it that was useful with the post. I need to order some of these so I decides to visit ... om-review/ this was known over the site that has some worth among the international community to work on it.
Post Reply