Non-Sponsored Status

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

miky348

Non-Sponsored Status

Post by miky348 »

Hi,

I am a non-resident Canadian citizen. I maintain my residency in Qatar. My wife (US citizen) also maintains her residency in Qatar. My wife will be moving back to US. I would also like to move with her and live in US legally. I have no intention of either obtaining a Green card or US citizenship.

1. What visa status should I maintain that would qualify me as "non-resident alien", i.e. I have to pay income tax only on American income and not on world income?

2. How many days in a calender year (or period of 365 days) can I physically reside in US to maintian my "non-resident alien" status?

3. Since my wife is a US citizen, would I be permitted to maintain a non-sponsored immigration status and still qualify as a "non-resident alien"

Requirement:
I want to live in US legally (with my wife) and be liable to pay tax only on American income and not on world income.

Thanks
miky