Advice needed on exit tax

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

thor7000

Advice needed on exit tax

Post by thor7000 »

Hello, here is my situation....I obtained an L1A visa this September and have a residence in Florida along with our primary house in Canada....I am currently travelling back and fourth right now but plan to live in the U.S on a permanent basis once we get our visa extension. I have listed our house in Canada for sale and do have RRSP's...my question is this....since I am on a L1A visa which currently is only good for 1 year and I am travelling back and fourth, hopefully we will sell our Canadian house in the next 2-3 months and then I would rent an apartment until we get our visa extension, will I be hit with a "exit tax" on the funds from our house sale?? Should I begin to sell off my RRSP's or is there a way I could transfer them into an IRA?? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

please ask in the tax forum.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D