family Sponsorship and tax residency status question

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

fheidari

family Sponsorship and tax residency status question

Post by fheidari »

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen. I was living in Quebec since a few months ago and have recently moved to USA under H1-b visa. When I was in Canada I applied for sponsorship of my parents and got the approval letter from both federal and Quebec immigration offices. My parents' file is now under process in Ankara. I see that the estimated waiting time for Ankara office is ~37 months. My question is that whether or not it is still necessary for me to keep my residency in Quebec and file taxes as residence of Quebec. Or since I have already received the approval letter, I can file my taxes as non-residence. I can keep my address and phone-No; no problem with that. My question is more related to tax.

Does immigration office of Ankara ask for new tax forms?

Please advise.

Thank you in advance
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would not be maintaining a residence solely for his purpose. You can move back when it is time for their case to be heard.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D