Consequences of US Citizenship?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

CDNinCO

Consequences of US Citizenship?

Post by CDNinCO »

Our family moved to the US six years ago. For the first three years, we were on a VISA and then three years ago we obtained our green cards. In a couple more years we will be eligible for US Citizenship and were planning to become dual citizens.

We thought this was a pretty straight forward decision, but, we've been that this may not be the case and that there are some pretty significant implciations of becoming a US Citizen.

One of the benefits that I've hear is that there is an estate tax exemption of a $2 million (?) that is only available to US citizens. Other than the obvious disadvantage of being tied to the US tax system as long as you're a US citizen, can someone tell me what the other significant tax disadvantages are of becoming a US citizen? Also, at this point, given that we're green card holders, aren't we pretty much in the same situation as US citizens for tax purposes anyhow?

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since you postedd this on the immigration site, I'll address the immigration issues.

Since you have went through the effort of getting a GC, you realize how difficult it is to get, and it would not be any easier the next time you tried, which is what you would have to do if you leave US for any more than about 2 years. Retirees for example, can't get GC. You may not find another employer willing to sponsor you in future. US citizenship will always guarantee that you can live/work/or not in US anytime.

The estate tax exemption refers to the SPOUSAL exemption that would not be as large for a non-US-citizen as for a US citizen spouse. I'd suggest asking this on the tax forum for a more complete discussion of the tax consequences, beterr yet, search for discussions previously held.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D