Spouse living in US and working for Canadian employer.

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

ganeshkrish18

Spouse living in US and working for Canadian employer.

Post by ganeshkrish18 »

I'm looking for your advice on how my spouse can continue to work for her company in Canada, after relocating with me and our kids, to the US. Her manager in Canada is open to her working remotely. We have 2 kids and we are all Canadian citizens. Here is our profile:

Husband:
IT Professional with 12 years of industry experience.
Masters degree in Computer Science from US University.
Currently : TN Visa. Living and working in US since May 2012.

Spouse:
IT Professional with 12 years of industry experience.
Master degree in Computer Science from Canadian University.
Currently works as IT / Application Manager in Multinational Corp. with branches in Canada and US. Held that position for 4 years.
Currently: Living and working in Canada.

Per my understanding, she would need a TN visa to work remotely from the US for her Canadian employer. If she gets a TN, she will continue to be under the Canadian payroll. Not sure how the tax scenario would look like for us, but thats only the next step.

Are there any other Visa options (eg. L1) that she might qualify for, that might better suit our situation, from a longer term immigration and / or tax complication point of view ?

Thanks for your help.
ganeshkrish18

Post by ganeshkrish18 »

Am I right in assuming that my spouse would need a TN visa to work for a Canadian company, after relocating to the US ? Would appreciate a response from the experts on this forum.

Thanks in advance.