Can I do business as an independent contractor with L2 visa?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

oranges

Can I do business as an independent contractor with L2 visa?

Post by oranges »

My husband is being transferred from Canada to the United States by his employer. Our plan is for him to get an L1 visa, and for me to get the L2 visa.

I currently work as an independent contractor [IT consultant] in Canada. I am incorporated. I am trying to figure out what my options are for working as an independent contractor in the United States, with an L2 visa.

Can I:
a) Continue to do consulting work for my Canadian clients [Canadian companies], working remotely from the US? If so, will I have to pay US taxes on top of Canadian taxes?
b) Do consulting work for American companies, from within my Canadian corporation?

I would greatly appreciate any advice/input!

Thank you!

Tatum
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As long as you get the work authorization (EAD) that you are entitled to on L2, you can do what you want in US (and canada, of course).
You can ask the tax q's on the tax forum, please.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
oranges

Post by oranges »

Thank you very much, Nelsona. I'll post the tax questions in the tax forum. Sorry!