Teleworking across borders.

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

MakingWay

Teleworking across borders.

Post by MakingWay »

I'm a Canadian contemplating setting up a professional consulting business at home (in Canada). I would like to travel south to different countries, including the US, for most of the year.

I anticipate that I will be travelling by boat from Canada stopping in various ports in the US, the Caribbean, and possibly Mexico. While in port, or when close enough to land, I would be accessing the internet to send and receive information.

I'm trying to get my head around the tax and immigration issues of such a teleworking business arrangement.

I doubt I would meet the minimum E2 investment requirement for starting a business in the US. I don't mind setting up a business in the US at all using the E2 visa but my profession only needs basic office equipment. Essentially I perform analysis of information. That is a far cry from the 50-100k needed to satisfy E2 requirements. Unless, the boat itself can be considered part of the investment - but I seriously doubt that. :roll:

How can this be done while remaining in the good graces of all governments concerned?

Cheers,
-MW
Kroeran

Post by Kroeran »

I recently emailed the US embassy on this idea of being in the US on tourist status but doing work for a Canadian entity

They said just dont work for a US firm or for anyone in the US, and don't receive any income in a US account "and I should be fine"

I suspect this is a don't ask don't tell kind of grey area
MakingWay

Post by MakingWay »

[quote="Kroeran"]I recently emailed the US embassy on this idea of being in the US on tourist status but doing work for a Canadian entity

They said just dont work for a US firm or for anyone in the US, and don't receive any income in a US account "and I should be fine"

I suspect this is a don't ask don't tell kind of grey area[/quote]

Thanks for the information!

I suppose this means if I'm teleworking on a file for a US client I need to be in Canada.
-MW