dual residency Canada and US for Canadian and American

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

robmarg

dual residency Canada and US for Canadian and American

Post by robmarg »

I am retired and receiving pensions in Canada. I will be marrying a US citizen and since we live near the border would like to have dual residency so we can spend time in both Canada and the US. I am a citizen of Canada living in Ontario and have no intention of working in the US. My fiancee is a US citizen and will continue to work in the US while living in the US and in Canada. We would appreciate your advice with regards to residency, taxation, OHIP coverage, etc.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can get US residency of course, after marriage. Unfortunately, that means, in order to keep your green card, you need to live in US more than canada, which will eventually cost you your Provicial health coverage.

True dual residency is only for citizens of both countries. It would take you three years of living in US to qualify for US citizenship.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D