TN Visa Application

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Cocashe

TN Visa Application

Post by Cocashe »

Hi,

I'm a Canadian citizen (dual citizenship with a European country as well). I am currently completing my PhD (my defense is in Aug) and have a job at a US university that starts in Sept. I plan on going to the border in Niagara Falls to apply for TN status fairly soon, but I have a few concerns:

1) What will qualify as "proof of ties to Canada"? I have no property in Canada (been living with my parents while finishing school, they will have a Toronto address). I have bank accounts and a Canadian visa, but that's about it, my car lease expires this summer and I have no investments, property, etc. However, I have lived in Canada since the age of 4, have Canadian citizenship and my parents and friends are here. I spoke with a border official on the phone, and he tried to tell me I have to have Canadian residence, but when I brought up how cost prohibitive that would be, he agreed that it's not neccessary.

2) I have purchased a home in the states. Given the low real estate prices, it made more sense than renting, even if I'm only there for a few years. Is this going to cause a problem? I don't intend to brag about the house, but I also don't intend to lie if it comes up, will they ask where I'll be living?

3) I plan on organizing my employment letter, resume, contacts for references, university transcripts and both of my university degrees (original parchments) into a binder, with a short letter explaining my application. Is there anything else I need to bring with me, besides my passports and NEXUS card?

3) I'm curious what the border guards are looking for in the TN status, exactly, especially with respect to denying entry. Not to sound stuck up, but I have a good education and a good job lined up, I tend to think that I shouldn't be the type of person they're trying to weed out of possibly settling in the US.

4) I only recently found out that university jobs are exempt from the H1-B quota cap. The university I'm going to offers one year contracts for the first 3 years, then 3 year contracts (in lieu of traditional tenure). Would I be better off applying for the H1-B when I get down there for the second year, rather than re-applying for TN status? If this job becomes long term, I would like to consider a permanent status in the states, so I'm wondering if the H1-B would be an easier path than the TN? How long does it take to find out about H1-B application status once the employer files - i.e. will I be able to apply and get an answer within the one year time frame of my TN status so I can renew that if the H1-B doesn't go through.

Thanks in advance for your help!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. TN does not require any foreign ties. merely the promise to leave US when your status is finished.
2. No. Even a tourist can own US property (like you do now).

3. No need for resume or references or cover letter: they know why you are at the border, and you got the job already. TN letter an degree is all you need.

3. they are looking for job deswcription and matching degreee. Don't overthink this.

4. You don;t need H1, but you can take it if they offer it. Many employers use H1 asa delay tactic instead of offring you green card. You've been told to look at immigration.com TN borad for TN to GC info.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Cocashe

Post by Cocashe »

Thanks Nelsona!

My concern about the house had more to do with whether that implies that I'm planning on staying permanently?

I looked at the immigration.com postings on TN to GC, and it seemed fairly complicated and time sensitive. I'm wondering if the H1-B simplifies the process, or if it's not worth adding the extra step? My employer has expressed interest in helping me with this after my first year contract, although they spoke of going the H1-B route as well, I'm not sure if they're aware that you can go directly from TN to GC.

Thanks again!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Toursits are not allowed to stay permanently either, and yet you have no problem entering the country as a tourist, do you? Even less so for TNs. House ownership is not immigration intent.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There is no better place for TN questions that the other site you visited. If you have more TN to GC questions ask there. I alreqdy told you that you should take H1 if offerd, but should be more insistent -- yes, insistent --- on GC that H1.
Daphanie

Re: TN Visa Application

Post by Daphanie »

This platform called https://dailyiowan.com/2021/07/21/7-bes ... -students/ is something I can do everything for this one. For sur it is one of my favorite site to use. No complaints from them!