Legal effect in Canada of U.S. oath of citizenship

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Jyrki21

Legal effect in Canada of U.S. oath of citizenship

Post by Jyrki21 »

I am U.S.-born, Canadian-raised and married to a Canadian. I am planning on eventually naturalizing my Canadian-born baby daughter under section 322 of the U.S. INA, as she is not eligible for automatic citizenship due to my own lack of time spent living in the U.S.

If I do this while she is young enough, she obviously won't be required to take the oath of citizenship. However, should we wait a while (part of it is deciding whether to abandon the citizenship of a third country which she currently holds, and perhaps letting her have some say in it when she's older), such that she *is* old enough to have the oath administered, does anyone know if Canada gives any legal effect to the stipulation from the oath of allegiance that the naturalized person "absolutely and entirely renounce[s] and abjure[s] all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty of whom or which [she has] heretofore been a subject or citizen"?

I suspect not, as Canada has a formal process of renunciation that would not have been undertaken, but I haven't found much concrete proof either way.

Also, does anyone know at what age the U.S. authorities begin administering that oath?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Only formal renunciation before a Cdn foreign official would affect anyone;s Cdn citiznship.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D