Remote work in US from Canada on B1 visa?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

grant

Remote work in US from Canada on B1 visa?

Post by grant »

A company in US would like me to provide writing/marketing services for them from Canada. I am self employed and based in Canada, would do all the work in Canada but would be paid by US sources. Can I use a B1 visa for this?

I'd have to visit the company in the US 3-4 times per year for a few days each time re: planning meetings but would accomplish all work from Canada. I'm concerened if there may be any issues re: doing this on a B1.
- is it OK to visit the US company that is paying me for meetings and then return to Canada to do the work?
- can the US company provide and pay for my air ticked to Texas?
- how do I have the US income reported - on a 1099? (I have SS#)
- can I work for a year of so for US based company, doing all work in Canada as a self employed Canadian, but being paid in US$ by US company?

Thanks!!
Grant
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

All these are legal on B1, and would not incur US tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
grant

cross border telecommuting from Canada . ..

Post by grant »

TThanks! -- and just a couple more questions . . .

Can I tell CBP when I cross the border that I am self-employed, working in Canada to support a US based company and being paid by that company? While meeting with company in the US every couple of months for a few days they'll cover my travel expenses but not pay me anything for the visit. I will always return back to Canada to do any work.

Is it OK if they issue business cards for me, with their company name but my Canadian address. I may be working for this company for up to a year as a Canada-based contractor.

Are there any grey areas here in telecommuting and crossing border on B1? Will my self employed status ever be an issue? Also, I hear that a non-resident may not be allowed to carry credit cards issued by a US bank but a US bank issued debit card is OK. Thanks so much for the advice!!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It would probably be better if they were paying your Cdn company, rather than you directly.

Yoy may need a TN to work directly as a contractor for them.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The business cards are probably NOT a good idea.