Question about $ and non-resident

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

nub4life

Question about $ and non-resident

Post by nub4life »

Hello,

I got a full-time job in NYC and will be moving there from Toronto in June. The company I will be working for will be taking care of the TN Visa for me. I gather (from what I've read here), they will probably fill out forms for me, but I still need to apply at the border.

Anyways, I have a couple of questions regarding money, taxes, non-residency.

I understand that I do not need to move all my money to the USA, but I need to let my bank know so that they don't send me a T5 at the end of the year? And is this the case only if I declare myself a non-resident of Canada?

Do I need to fill out a form to declare non-resident? And is there a period of time before I can declare non-resident?

How does the income tax work? Obviously I will need to pay US income tax, but I read that I'd also have to pay a little bit of Cdn income tax as well? Or is this conditional based on my non-resident declaration?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed; this new company is providing less help than I initially thought they would.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sorry you weren't able to see that this is the immigration section of the forum, not the tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D