Am I running out of time?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Joshm73

Am I running out of time?

Post by Joshm73 »

Hi - I am hoping some knowledgeable folks can help me understand my situation better:

- I am Canadian
- I have been in the US almost 5 years. I started out on an L1B and am now on an H1B that expires July 2011
- My employer is pursuing a Green Card for me. I am on my second attempt with Labor Certification. The first time my case was audited and we were told that the Dept of Labor did not think that the job posting was done with an appropriate headline. My Labor Certification was re-filed April 1, 2009. I have not yet heard anything back.
- My current job does not require a Masters. I could be promoted into a job that requires a Masters degree this year. I have an MBA.

My questions are:
1. Should I be worried that I have not yet heard anything back on the Labor Certification from last year?
2. What if this Labor Certification is also un-successful? Do I still have options for remaining in the US past July 2011?
3. Even if this Labor Certification process succeeds, are there other obstacles to my staying in the US?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. Yes. PERM should not take this long.
2. You need to get a valid viable PERM started 1 year before your H1 clocjk expires. Then you would be allowed as many H1 renewals as needed until you get GC.
3. Keeping your job for the 8-10 years it would take to get GC.

I would secure a valid PERM and apply for I-140 before trying to change the category of employment(Ie from EB3 to EB2 for masters). You need to get an I-140 filed if you have any hope of ever getting GC.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Joshm73

Post by Joshm73 »

Thanks so much for the speedy response!

Greatly appreciated.