Canadian living in US thinking of moving back to Canada

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

ejrbeth

Canadian living in US thinking of moving back to Canada

Post by ejrbeth »

I am Can citizen currently awaiting Green C, we cross the border using I512 Advanced Parole doc. If we move back to Canada, as long as the I512 is still valid, can we continue to cross the border as and when required.

If i quit my job in US, my current employer will notify the imm. lawyer that i am no longer employed with them - can we still cross the border using the I512 (as long as it hasnt expired).

If we move back to Canada and i work there, does this interrupt/end our green card process. I realize we have to keep GC vaid to maintain it.

Our I485 application for change in status from H1B to GC through employment, was accepted by INS in Dec 2005, they are processing GC visa numbers with applications dated Sept 2002!!!! 35 months away.
Is our GC considered approved even though we physically havent received it yet. We have been in US 71/2 years.
thanks your help.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your GC process is not dependant on currently having a job or not. The sponsor merely has to maintain the intent to hire you when your GC becomes issued.

If your current employer is also your GC sponsor, and he ceases to employ you, and notifies CIS of that fact, they *might* contact you to determine if you still have a sponsor or not. If you cannot show that your GC process is still viable (ie. you have no sponsor) then your GC process will be denied at that point.

But your process, including the I-485 ang the AP do not become invalid merely because you are no longer working for your current employer.

Your GC is not approved until all the steps are made.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ejrbeth

Post by ejrbeth »

Hi, thank you for the response.
Wow, my current employer is my sponsor, so i quit my job, move back to Canada to a new employer and my former US employer notifys US immigration that i am no longer employed with them - the GC process could come to an end very quickly.

But we can still come back down to the US and stay in our house (if it doesnt sell) as non residents of the US.

We can still buy property or keep property in US as long as we meet the prescence test, ie no more than 185 days.
thanks