Name on GC Doesn't Match Canadian Passport

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

safaritogo

Name on GC Doesn't Match Canadian Passport

Post by safaritogo »

When I first relocated to the US, I applied for a visa and subsequently, green card status using my anglicized name. My Canadian passport shows my name as "Antonio" (Italian for Anthony), whereas my GC shows my name as "Anthony".

For well over 15 years, this discrepancy has not caused any problems. However, with the heightened security concerns of late, it now poses a problem in that US customs agents have been pulling me to the side for additional screening. This has happened twice in the past 6 months, on my return to the US, from Canada.

How do I go about correcting this discrepancy? I would like to apply for US citizenship. Would it be best to make the correction along with the citizenship application?

There may be many ways to get this done. I'm interested in the method of least risk of confusion. As for which name to use (what's on my CDN passport versus my US green card), I don't have any preference. I would lean towards that which would make this correction, and my citizenship applicaction go smoothest.

Thank you for your advice,

Antonio / Anthony