what if lost Green Card?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

canroc

what if lost Green Card?

Post by canroc »

Last night I traveled to Canada across from Buffalo at Fort Erie with the intent to return a few hours later. The Canadian agent asked to see my passport and green card, but he failed to hand back my green card. I realized this one hour later. After a fruitless phone call to Canadian Customs I drove back to the border did a u turn on the bridge to bring me back to the Canadian entry booths. The booth I crossed at was now closed. The agent in the next booth searched but could not find it. I went into the Customs / Immigration office and as I walked in the agent that had my card recognized me and returned my card, with apologies. Whew.

But, anyway I was ill prepared in that I did not know what I would have done without the Green Card, and if I would be able to return home.

Does anyone know the procedure when a Canadian has lost their Green Card while in Canada and needs to return home to the U.S.?
filpa

Post by filpa »

Your Green Card, also known as a Permanent Resident Card, is an important document.Lost green cards can be a considerable headache to their owners.Not only does it serve as evidence of your status as a legal immigrant in the United States, it is proof that you are eligible to live and work in the United States.if your Green Card is lost or stolen, you should take steps to replace it immediately.
canroc

Post by canroc »

Thanks for the reply... three years too late. haha.. .but you didn't answer my question anyway. I know I would need to take the steps to replace it immediately... I was wondering what those steps were, and how and when I would be able to get back to the U.S. I did find out that it would take a few days to get back and would require a trip to the nearest U.S. embassy to fill in some paperwork, and wait.