Can I travel with a Certificate of Naturalization?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

safaritogo

Post by safaritogo »

I am currently a permanent US resident (green card), and would like to apply for US citizenship. The Guide to Naturalization describes the final steps of the process as "Return your Permanent Resident Card; Take the Oath of Allegiance; Receive your Certificate of Naturalization".

Upon receiving the certificate of naturalization, I intend to apply for a US passport, but, until I get the passport, I will have no Permanent Resident card to use as entry criteria to return to the US when travelling.

Will I be able to use the Certificate of Naturalization to re-enter the US?

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.
safaritogo

Post by safaritogo »

Forgot to add a few details regarding my concerns with the timing of the process: As I write this, it is mid-May. I will need to travel to Canada in October of this year (2009). If all goes well with the naturalization process, I might have a certificate of naturalization by October, but, I doubt I will be able to get a US passort, as well, by October.