Blanket L1

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

canuck09

Blanket L1

Post by canuck09 »

I am an IT manager for the Canadian subsidiary of an American company. I've been told that other managers frequently travel to US offices under a blanket L1 status. I've been with the company for nearly a year & have a couple of questions about travelling to the US under this blanket L1

1 - How does the L1 time limit work under a blanket visa (or is there even a time limit when using a blanket L1)? If i only spend a few days per year in US offices, do those days count towards the 7 year time limit or does the clock start ticking the moment I enter the US under this blanket L1, regardless of how many days I'm actually in the US?

I guess that's the only real question I have. It seems like this 7 year time limit really puts a cap on the number of years a manager can work for this company. My job requires me to travel to US offices, but what happens after 7 years? I have to stay home for a year to reset the clock? Not that I'd necessarily stay at the same job for that length of time, but who knows??

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.