Permanent resident to Commuter back to Permanent resident.

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Greg

Permanent resident to Commuter back to Permanent resident.

Post by Greg »

Question Permanent Resident residing in the US from 1991 thru 2001. In 2001 I changed Permanent resident card over to Permanent resident Commuter. Lived in Canada and Commuted daily to the US for work. In 2008 Moved back to the US and Changed status back over to just the Permanent resident card, received my new card from Home Land Security. Always filed taxes 1040 for all years.

Does the 5 years start the day I returned back to the US or can I use the any part of the 10 years that I already spent in the US as a lawful permanent Resident to apply of US Citizenship?. Since my wife is an American Citizen I think it 3 years and not 5.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Switching hats:

Your commuter GC status, stopped the clock on any citizenship process. You will need three years (because of marriage to USC) on regular GC before naturalization.
See:

http://www.clarkhill.com/CommuterGreenCards.aspx

This begs the question: Why didn't you get citizenship in the 90's, when eligible?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

I should have gotten it in the 90's just didn't think about it. When you live in the US on A permanent resident card you tend to forget that you are just a permanent resident and not a citizen. Because permanent residence offers allot of the thing that a US citizen can get like Credit, and the ability to just switch jobs when you want unlike a TN, I guess I just took it for granted and never thought about it, but that won’t happen again. In 3 years I will be applying for my US Citizenship.

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I had credit day one in US (secured US mortgage before moving), and I only got GC 7.5 years later.

What was the credit issue?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

None for me, But I have people in the office that are over here working on a TN, having troubles getting credit because they are not permanent residence or US citizens. I was able to get my mortgage with no problems in the US back last June before I even moved back, but I had prior credit rating from the 90’s. I think the mortgage application specifically asked if you are a US citizen or a permanent resident, I know it was a pretty big deal when I went through the whole mortgage process.

So are you saying a TN can get a mortgage?. If they can how do they get around the US citizen or a permanent resident thing on the Mortgage App.