GC holder wants to live in US and commute to work in Canada

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

marvinsilva

GC holder wants to live in US and commute to work in Canada

Post by marvinsilva »

I would like to know if a Canadian GC holder can live in the US and commute to work in Canada for a Canadian employer. Can I keep my GC and eventually apply for american citizenship? How the Provincial health care coverage will be affected?
Nica
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just be be clear, you are a Cdn citzen who holds a US GC?

You can indeed livein US and work in canada. In fact with a GC, that would be the only way to keep your GC viable, and would keep your days for citizenship running. If you were to live and work in Canada, your GC would be in jeopardy. If you wer to live in canada and work in US, you would best convert to a commuter GC, otherwise you risk having your GC pulled at the border. the commuter GC option would stop your citizenship clock (i believe).

As to Provincial healtcare, the 'days' per year requirements are actually 'nights' per year (the pillow test), so, by living in US, you would eventually lose your healthcare. Some provinces have provisions to extend this for some time if you advise them BEFOREHAND that you will be out of canada 'tempoaririly (like 2 years).

having Cdn healtcare while in US is only of marginal value of course, as you would still run the risk of getting sik, having accident, require longterm treatment while in US, and Provincial plans only cobver these costs marginally. You would need some form of US covergae to be safe. you would likely not be entitled to the the covergae that Cdn residnts who travel in US get, but you could look into this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
marvinsilva

Post by marvinsilva »

Thanks, Nelsona.
Yes, I am a Canadian citizen with a US GC. Due to the potential lost of Provincial health coverage, I am asking the employer if they can hire me in US to get salary and health benefits in the US (employer has offices in US and Canada) and I can commute to work to Canada. Is that possible?
Nica
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Regardless of the arrangement, you and employer still need to pay payroll tax (EI and CPP) to canada, as well as have Cdn taxes withheld from wages.

If you are going to work for an american company and live in the US, whuy not simply work for the US compny IN US and save yourself the hassle of filing a Cdn tax return, and the commute.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
marvinsilva

Post by marvinsilva »

The job is in Canada at the border. I just want to keep my US GC (it wasn't easy to get it). I would do this until I get my US citizenship (18 months left).
Nica
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I understand where the job is.
My point was if the US firm is willing to convert you to a US employee, why not simply stay in US?