TN Trouble - Chicago O'Hare

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

sirjohnfranklin

TN Trouble - Chicago O'Hare

Post by sirjohnfranklin »

Renewing for the sixth time but the first at this location, I had trouble renewing because HSBP officers at O'Hare interpreted the Oct 14th
change to the period of stay as being a maximum 3 year allowed stay, inclusive. They looked at my six year history and tried to say that the limit was 3 years and their perception is no longer of a temporary stay.

While I understand that each renewal is open to full scrutiny, personal interpretation, etc, am I not entitled to unlimited attempts to renew?

These officers used a non US gov't website to argue their case. I find that there is no consistent use of the rules and regulations at different crossings. Sometimes the fee is $50, sometimes $56. Sometimes only cash, sometimes only credit card. Some days university transcripts are sufficient educational proof, other times the actual parchment is required.

After this "bad hair day" at the border, I have removed Chicago O'Hare as a future renewal site and I am still worried that my TN days are over, twelve months from now.

Will I be able to renew again in 12 months? What's the correct interpretation?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, you only asked for a year/ Too bad. Now you will have to go thru this again next year.

TN is unlimited in its renewals.

I-94s are $56 dollars at the POE, but only $50 at airports (the I-94 fee is built into your ticket).

Obviously applying for a TN at a US airport is frought with the probablity that the officer has never had to issue one, as ORD would only see a TNer coming from Overseas.

... and CBP officers are a-holes in general.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D