Canadian starting a small business in the USA?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

gamemaker

Canadian starting a small business in the USA?

Post by gamemaker »

I'm a Canadian and I have a job offer from a company in the USA, who is willing and able to get me an O-1 visa. (They will sponsor my green card after a year, and my wife after that ... bottom line it will be several years before she can work.) My question is for my wife, who is a small business owner here in Canada but cannot work in the USA under my visa. What is required for her to be able to start a small business and legally work it in the USA (specifically, in Arizona)? I heard she'd need to invest $50K, take out a business lease, and have a real business plan for expansion. Is that anywhere close to the truth? If so that would be great news as that would be possible for her.
-- Joe
regina

Post by regina »

Not sure where you heard this from, but we have been researching this topic for a while. The result is disappointing.. As far as I know, dependents (h4 etc.) can not do any physical work in U.S., Paid or no paid. The only two things allowed are study or passive investment (meaning stocks, bonds etc.)

If you hear something different, please post here. I would love to know.
Regina