I want to work in the States

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

deanr

I want to work in the States

Post by deanr »

I am a Canadian graphic designer (I would be allowed to work in the US under NAFTA) and I want to work in the States. I have talked to some agencies in the US and they said they would like to work with me on a freelance basis but I would have to live there to get the work, but as far as I know I can't move down there unless I have an offer of employment. I'm just wondering what I should do.

Should I talk to the agencies again and get letters from them saying they would hire me on contract if I move there?

Which form would I have to start filling out/researching if i am even allowed to move down there as a freelance graphic designer.

And if I am allowed to move to the US as a freelance designer am I allowed to talk to other design studios in the US in the hopes of getting additional freelance clients?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You need a job offer first.

It can be for one or more clients on your own, or with an agency. But any offer should specify work conditions (hours, wages, etc), and last no more than one year. This is not a form, but is referred to as a TN letter.

There are better sites than here that talk about these details.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
deanr

Post by deanr »

Can it be freelance work or does it have to be a position (i.e. full-time/part time)?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It can be freelance, but you need to get a TN for EACH and every client you have.

And you cannot move to, nor stay in US unless and until you have such clients.

Ex: You get a client for 2 weeks, you get a 2 week TN. You can be in US for 2 weeks, then out.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Truckerbob

Post by Truckerbob »

Go to Yahoo. They have a great forum on immigration to the U.S. A couple of immigration lawyers are on that forum also. Good Luck...