Traveling on a soon-to-expire Passport

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

canada68

Traveling on a soon-to-expire Passport

Post by canada68 »

Apologies if this is not the right forum, but this seems to best fit here.

I'm a Canadian living in the US with a GC. I intend to vacation in Canada. My return date to the US happens to be just a few days before my Canadian passport expires.

Now, I know (or heard) that with certain countries, they'd like you to have an expiry date that is 6-month further out.

In my case, I'm guessing that wouldn't apply, that the purpose for me (being a GC holder) is really only to ascertain my citizenship, and as long as re-enter the US prior to expiry date of the passport, even by one day, I should be safe.

(The turnaround time for renewing a passport is too far out in my case. My other option is to try to pay 70$ and get an emergency renewal while in Canada with a 24-hr turnaround, which I may end up doing.)

Anyway, I'm looking to know what the border policy is upon entry to USA (by car), and if anyone's been in a similar position as I am.

Update: Answering part of my question:

Googling the web, I see <a>this post</a>, which reads in part:
I just got off the phone with the L.A. consular office on this very topic, so here is the best answer as of 11/06/08. At this time Canada does not have a Passport policy for admission to the Country so in lieu of a passport your Permanent Resident Card is sufficient for entry. Depending on the individual Port of Entry, you may have to provide further photo I.D. with signature as verification of identity (i.e. State issued driver's license).<B>To re-enter the U.S. the only document you will need is your permanent resident card. While it is advisable to maintain a valid Canadian Passport in order to simplify border crossings, not having one is not a barrier to entry. </b>In fact, an expired Passport can be used as a supporting identity document within one year of expiry.

The Homeland Security reference <a>is here</a>:
That's for air travel. Land travel documentation is in PDF. Again, the GC requirement is there, and just an unexpired passport, with no "6-month" or whatever mention.
canada68

Post by canada68 »

Hmmm... URL's seem to have been turned off from the a href tag. Here are those links:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_a_Canadi ... _to_Canada

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacat ... needed.xml