TN renewal by mail

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

dhirenasha

TN renewal by mail

Post by dhirenasha »

My TN is expiring mid june this year. Looked into the mail procescing dates and noticed they are approx 3 months back. If I apply now by mail say in a week and don't hear from Vermont before my TN expires in mid June, do I have any bonus days I can work legally waiting for them to reply me back??
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yeah. You get 240 day grace period, after expiry, in which your TN status remains valid. You n=must have the I-129 submitted before your current TN expires.

If you leave US after expiry and before approval, though, you need to get a new TN when you come back, and cancel the renewal.

But, it does serve to keep you in status past the current expiry date.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

Thanks Nelsona for all your help!!! The good part is the 240 days grace period, but the bad part is that if I have to go and meet my friends or visit family in Canada and come back , won't be possible because then I had to apply for a new TN on border.