Giving Up on Canadian Car Lease

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

rlphwns

Giving Up on Canadian Car Lease

Post by rlphwns »

Well I’m really about to give up on my Canadian Car Lease, the leasing company in Canada just will not work with me on bring the Car to the US. I have tried multiple times with no success they just don’t give a crap. Here are my options they gave me.

Buy the Car $24,000 plus GST & PST (Which I don’t have)

Have someone take over the lease (Working on it but running out of time)

Return it to the dealer they will sell at auction. And come after me for the difference Approx $5,000 (Which I also don’t have)

Any suggestions?. I have never been late on a bill in my life, and this is really frustrating, to the point I’m giving up, my only option is looking like return it and have them seek me out in the US to Collect.

Does anyone know if they would pursue me in the US, Can a US collection agency come after me for a Canadian Debt and put derogatory stuff on my US credit?. Can they get a American court order for the debt to garnish wages for a Canadian Debt?.

Anyone have any experience with this, I only have the car lease in Canada and no other Debit.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is the fine print on leasing.
Lesson learned.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If they find you, they will simply sell the debt to a US collector.

Not the way to start your US credit history.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cimit

Post by cimit »

Agreed. I can't say specifically what they would do, only speculate. But I would think that having it go to Collections in either country would not be a good option.

Is there anyway you could establish a loan with a bank that would pay off the lease, and allow you to make monthly payments as if you were paying a lease? Either in Canada or the US? I think this would be better than the collections route.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.