Crossing border as a dual citizen

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

chewbacca

Crossing border as a dual citizen

Post by chewbacca »

Hi,

I'm a Canadian citizen and in a few months will also be a United States citizen. In other words, I will be a dual Canada/US citizen.

Twice a year I travel from the US to Canada and back via land border crossing by car.

After becoming dual, I'm wondering what I should say when they ask for my citizenship.

When entering Canada should I say Canadian? US? Dual?

And how about when entering the US?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

My son is dual. We say he is Cdn when entering canada and American when entering the US, regardless of which passport we show.

Since we actually live in US, we feel itr is best to carry his US passport, since this makes it easier when entering US. If we lived in canada we would do the reverse, carry his Cdn PP, but report that he was American.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Truckerbob

Post by Truckerbob »

I checked with the U.S. and Canadian border crossings and was told that when crossing, my son, who is dual Can/US citizen, is to claim U.S. citizenship when living in the U.S. If he was living in Canada he would claim he is Canadain.