Importing a vehicle from Canada to USA

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

dhirenasha

Importing a vehicle from Canada to USA

Post by dhirenasha »

Friends,

What are the steps involved in importing a vehicle (2006 honda accord) from Canada (Ontario) to USA (PA). This vehicle is for personal use and was financed in Canada.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

Ignore the "temporary" types of importation, they don't satisfy your requirements, since you live in US and will likely do so for more than 1 year.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

US customes is a piece of cake to get through if u have all the papers. The hurdle is PennDoT. I just came to know that owners have to pay 6% sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle if they import....And this is after paying 15% tax in Canada on the purchase price.

Could not imagine why would it work that way....
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Cdns often face this extra tax, since the states will usually only credit tax from other states. You may have to show them paperwork.

You'll note that you were supposed to do this within 20 days of moving.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_resident ... icle.shtml

.. and there is provision that if you have owned the car longer than six months the sales tax is waived. (again, it specifies another state).

We've all had to go thryu these hurdles... the 20 day requirement illustrates how easily your insuarnce can be voided. On the 21st day of living in PA, you are improperly registered. Any insuarnce policy worth its salt has clauses which absolve the insurance firm if you aren't registered correctly.

That is why we take care of importation quickly, or get rid of the Cdn car.

Also be prepared for 'property tax' every year on your car. Most states have this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cimit

Post by cimit »

Just found this website and forum and think it is great.

As an FYI to add to this thread, I moved from Ontario to PA in May 2007. I attempted to convert to PA plates early, but I was made aware that I had to get a PA license and insurance first.

Once you get the plates, you have to get the car inspected. You have 10 days in which to do so after getting PA plates. I investigated about paying a fee or tax on the import, but they advised me that I would not have to (I own the vehicle, bought and paid for in Canada, it is 7 years old).

I'll let you know how it goes since I am well past the 20 day mark.
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

Any updates cimit???
cimit

Post by cimit »

Well.....I did get to the Notary and provided all of the necessary paperwork. I was very clear that I was outside of the 20-day window and they were okay with it. They took copies of everything and provided me with a plate. I also have a temporary sticker that is good for 3 months, and has to be visible on my rear window.

After getting the plate, I have 10 days to get the car inspected. I did this at the dealership and everything worked out fine. So now I am just waiting for the original ownership and sticker for the plate to show up. While driving the other day, I noticed someone with a temp sticker that was 3-weeks older than mine (based on their expiration date) and they did not have the sticker on the car. So I am thinking I am still a few weeks away from getting all the paperwork back.

The Notary put me through as if I was moving from a different state. They said this might get through and I would avoid the taxes. If not, they provided me with the book value of the car and what I would be required to pay.

I have to look into the "property tax" on the car issue that nelsona describes.
cimit

Post by cimit »

This weekend I received both the sticker and the title to my vehicle. No other information was required, so I am guesing that no additional taxes are required at this time.

Still need to investigate about property tax on the car.
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

Yesterday got a letter from American Honda to import my car in USA. They have written 2 specific points which are as follows:

(1) "The vehicle complie with EPA emmission standards applicable for this year and model vehicle, at time of manufacture, however it does not have a US EPA emmissions label.

(2) "The vehicle complies with the applicable US federal Motor vehicle safety standards except for the labelling requirements, which include instrument panel differences"

In no where the word modification was written.

Now before I show this to my dealer in USA and he makes up his mind of skimming money out of me what exactly are these 2 points. I believe if no modifications are to be done that the above are just a formality stuff which does not require any action. Any views....

Pennsylvania
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why would you need to show this t oa dealer in US? This letter is for the border to allow importation.

You have no mods to do.
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

Well that was the question itself. Well now its clear that it does not need any modifications. That means I can take this letter to Penn Dot and register my vehicle with a PA licence.

The bad part is probaly I would paying PA taxes as its only 2 yrs old. I wish they should allow CAD made vehicles wthout taxes.
cimit

Post by cimit »

[quote="dhirenasha"]Well that was the question itself. Well now its clear that it does not need any modifications. That means I can take this letter to Penn Dot and register my vehicle with a PA licence.

The bad part is probaly I would paying PA taxes as its only 2 yrs old. I wish they should allow CAD made vehicles wthout taxes.[/quote]

As long as you have the stmaped forms from the border, then you can register in PA.

A suggestion would be to have your original receipt of purchase to show that you have paid takes on the vehicle already. Its a stretch, but it might work.

Hope it works out for you.
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

Well looks like they are going to charge me that 80% of the book value of the car and then charge 6% sales tax on top of that which comes to around $800. Everything including registration and title and taxes are coming to around $1000. thisis excluding emission and safety test.