CPT56 - Certificate of Coverage

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

doncraig

CPT56 - Certificate of Coverage

Post by doncraig »

Has anyone filed this particular form? I am transferring to the US on an L1A visa in September. I have the Visa in process and have travelled back and forth. Our company has a fixed presence in the USA and I will be employed by the US company of our Canadian based parent company. They were unsure if they could use this form though they are open to it. Does anyone know if the fact that I will be working for our US subsidiary that it will nullify the opportunity to be exempt from social security withholdings (but will continue to remit CPP was my initial thoughts...though the mechanics of this I have not understood).

Thanks!
DC in Boston (formerly Edmonton)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you are being transferred for a period of less that 5 years, you may exempt yourself from SS payemnts, as long as your Cdn comapny ensures that they will be paying your Cdn CPP.

That is what the certificate stipulates.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would point out that if there is any doubt that (a) your transfer is temporary, (b) your Cdn employer will not cover you, and (c) you will be staying more than 5 or even 2 years, I would forget the CPT and just pay medicare and SS. Yoiu will get some SS with as little as 18 months of US work (6 quarters), some even qualify with 4 months work, spread over 2 calendar years.

Think of it as an extra pension, paid by both you and the employer.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D