How to apply for H4?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Maquillage

How to apply for H4?

Post by Maquillage »

My husband has been on H-1B for 2 years. We got married last year; I decided to join him in the US and would like to apply for H4 status.

Do I need an appointment to apply for the H4?
What documents do I need to bring?
What kind of questions shall I expect from the immigration officer?

I applied for TN a few months ago but was rejected. Will it has a negative impact on my H4 application?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since, by your stating that you went for Tn, you are a Canadian citizen, there is no appointmrnt to be taken anywhere for H4.

You show up at the border, or at airport, when going to US with:
1. Your passport, or other proof of citizenship (to prove you don't need a visa)
2. Copy of husbands I-94 with valid H1. If his H1 is not recent, bring a recent paystub.
3. Proof of marrage (prov/state certificate is best).
4. US$6 at border, free at airport.

Your previous TN failure should not harm you, unless you were refused entry because of criminal record, in which case H4 won't be granted either. But if it was merely because of not being TN-qualified, there is no worry.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Maquillage

Post by Maquillage »

Thanks a lot!! I am new to this whole US immigration stuff......

Yes, I am a Canadian with a perfectly clean record (except I was not TN qualified a few months ago).

May I know what type of questions the immigration officer will ask me when I apply for H4?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

h4 and TD are the simplest status that they give out, even simpler than tourist, since there is no requirement that you have any Cdn ties to get it.

They shouldn't ask you any questions. They may ask if your husband is still working (thus the paystub), where you are going to live, etc. Just chit-chat.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D