Canadian hired by American company and work in China, TN?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

pfang

Canadian hired by American company and work in China, TN?

Post by pfang »

I am Canadian citizen, just hired by an American company, will work in US for two months, then move to China and work over there permanently, but payroll is always in US, my salary will be paid to my American bank account when I work in China. I will apply TN for the 1st year because I need to work in US for two months first. My question is after 1st TN expire one year later, do I need to apply TN again? Thanks for any help.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No/ You only need TN to wqork on US soil.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
pfang

Post by pfang »

Thank you so much for the answer. How about tax? where shall I pay income tax after moving to China? I and my family will become non-residents of Canada. If the answer is China, Can my American employer deduct the tax from my payroll for China government?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I am completely ignorant of the Chinese tax system. You should not be taxable in US, however, nor in Canada (if you make sure to break all residential ties there).

So you will have to look at Chinese taxation yourself. In any event, unless your firm has an entity in China, there will be no way for the US firm to withold chinese taxes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D