Working for Canadian company

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

dreamcatcher

Working for Canadian company

Post by dreamcatcher »

Hi, I'm permanent resident in Canada and my husband holds TN visa and works in US. I'm going to get TD visa and join him in US. My company in Canada, where I currently employed, would like to hire me as a contractor and I would work remotely from home in US for Canadian company. My question is if I can do that? Because TD status holders are not allowed to earn income in the U.S, but does it apply to income in Canada?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can't work while physically in US without US work status, which TD is not.

There are some conditions that might allow you to work as you hope, but these would include your firm having no US affiliaions or customers, and your firm not gaining any advantage from you being in US. These can only be determined by an attorney.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

Thank you for reply, I'll talk to a lawyer.
canampilot

working in canada as a dual citizen

Post by canampilot »

As a dual citizen, I'm looking at residing back in the US again while continuing my job for a cdn company just across the border. With the downturn in the US economy, housing is becoming much more affordable then homes just north of the border. We are currently leasing a home here in Canada for now and have no assets. My commute would still be about the same timeframe if we opt to move near the US border.
Obviously, as mentioned on other posts, contract work- self employed is a much better method but our company simply does not give that option.
Is this idea still worth considering? What benefits should I consider to retain and what ones should I drop? For example, should I(can I) keep the dental benefits for me and my family while living in the US? What other tax issues should I pay close attention to while examining this?!
Thanks