Where to surrender GC ?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

maricami

Where to surrender GC ?

Post by maricami »

I was told to go to the border to surrender my green card. But is it possible to do it at a local consulate office (Quebec City) ?
JohnSt

Post by JohnSt »

Yes, I believe so. My wife did so at the Consulate in Ottawa. I suppose it depends on what services they offer. You just need to make an appointment and fill out a form I-407. Note that there are special tax rules if you have held a green card for more than 8 of the past 15 years (for tax purposes, you may effectively be treated like a renouncing US citizen, which can get rather complicated if you are wealthy or have not filed you taxes). See the instructions for form 8854. This applies regardless of whether you still live in the States or not (ridiculous as that may seem). Yes, the US can still tax you and you cannot vote -- so much for "no taxation without representation." If you plan to do this, no matter what your situation is, you should have your US taxes up-to-date through the year you turn in your green card. This is ESPECIALLY true if you are required to submit form 8854. (My wife was not required to do so, but we updated her taxes for the past 5 years just in case.)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This guy is surrendering hid Green Card. If he voted in US elections, he did so illegally.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
maricami

Post by maricami »

No I did not !!!

My situation is getting a little tricky here and I need more advice.

I moved back to Canada last year in July. I still have my GC. I am working for a Canadian company here in Quebec and they are sending me to the US to work for them for a week. What will happen at the border ? Is my GC still valid ?

My initial thought was to give my GC back before my departure (I didn't want to have to deal with it at the airport), but is it the right thing to do ?
JohnSt

Post by JohnSt »

In my posting, "If you plan to do this ..." referred to turning in the green card, not voting. I should have known better; I worked as an editor for a number of years. This is a good example of a "vague pronoun reference."

I can't recall how long green cards are valid outside of the country. Six months? In any case, it does not matter from a tax point of view, since the IRS views green card holders (even conditional ones, and yes even those out of the country) as "residents" who must report their worldwide income.

I don't think your green card, per se, would have an impact in your particular situation. nelsona could give you a better answer though.
canroc

Post by canroc »

My son is going to surrender his Green Card as he has been living back in Canada for the past five years, and plans to stay there.

I could not find out if an appointment is necessary with the U.S. consulate in Toronto, or if he should just go there, line up to get in, and hope that they will do the interview on that day.

What can be expected at the interview? Since he did not turn in his GC yet but has been living outside of the U.S. for at least five years will he have any hassle?
canroc

Post by canroc »

I found the answer to my question on the US Consulate in Toronto Website:

[quote]
Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence (LPR) Status (I-407):

Please come to 225 Simcoe Street, Toronto, with all family members who wish to abandon LPR status, Monday-Friday, 830-11 am, holidays excluded. Please be prepared for a 2 or more hour wait. Bring for each person:

Completed I-407,
Your Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551 or "Green Card")[/quote]