Legal costs for visa when switching employers

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

bolla777

Legal costs for visa when switching employers

Post by bolla777 »

I have been sponsored by my current employer for over 6 years and am in the last stages of the green card application (I-485 has been pending for almost 2 years). I have recently accepted a similar position with another company (company B) and upon filing notice with my current company (company A), company A has told me I owe them legal costs for current term of the current visa. It seems they created a new policy in 2005 that states this. I was never informed of this, nor did I sign anything acknowledging this. Is this legal for company A to do this ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

What does your lawyer say.

That is a hint to get a lawyer.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rbsullivan

Post by rbsullivan »

And ...... how do you expect your keep your I-485 "valid", when you have no intention of working for them upon GC approval ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

AC21 allows for one -- after I-485 has been pending for 6 months -- to move to another company, with them picking up sponsorship.

It's called I-140 portability.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D