Canadian moving to USA, owns property in Canada

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

kimberlycastle

Canadian moving to USA, owns property in Canada

Post by kimberlycastle »

I am relocating from Calgary Alberta to the US in July.
I have an H1B and am relocating for work.
I own a condo in Calgary and would like to keep it and rent it out.
However I am not sure of what the tax implications of that are if any.

Any information you can provide would be helpful.
Thank you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Best poste on the tax forum
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
gnuelnivek

Re: Canadian moving to USA, owns property in Canada

Post by gnuelnivek »

Hi,
I'm from Edmonton and moved to the US 3 years ago, but we kept our house in Edmonton for the first 2 years. It can get pretty complicated when you move to the states and have property in Canada, i.e Residency status, capital gains on your property, rental income if applicable. I would strongly suggest that you employ the services of a accountant that is familiar with both IRS and CRA policies for individuals living in the states and having property in Canada. Typically not cheap, I paid about 300-400 for my return this year, but at the same time, I am confident that I am ok with both governments in case I want to go back to Canada or if I plan on staying longer. Also, I'm also confident that our accountant found more deductions on both sides that I or any tax prep program could have found, especially since you should file to both gov'ts
Hope this helps