Visa Bulletin Question

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

CMB

Visa Bulletin Question

Post by CMB »

What ends up being the difference between a priority date never changing, and a category becoming unavailable.

The EB3 category sits at Aug 2002 and has been for a few months. There's a section in the bulletin that says coming in May, EB3s may become unavailable.

I'm assuming the bottom line is that I just continue to sit, wait and renew my current H1 status? My I-140 has been approved but I never got to file my I-485 before the whole priority date thing stopped being current.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

When a cut-off date is established, it is based on an ESTIMATE of the cases that might be approved in the fiscal year. It drifts forward and back depending on actaul demand and revised estimates.

When a category goes 'U' unavailable, this means that the quota for that particular category -- each catgeory has a hard cap -- has been 100% filled
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

By the way, the visa bulletin did not say that EB3 would be unavailable in May. It said: "It is likely that the Employment Third Preference “Other Workerâ€￾ (EW) category will become unavailable beginning in May."

This is not the regular EB3. This hasa very small quota every year.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
CMB

Post by CMB »

Thanks for the clarification.

I always expect the worst when I read the bulletins that when I read the word "third" I just automatically assumed that it was the regular old EB3.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Don't breathe too great a sigh of relief. As murthy.com analysis pointed out last week. It is unlikley that EB3 will advance this year, and will either retrogress a few months or go 'U' by summer.
Jaspal

Post by Jaspal »

When I-140 is already approved, and PD becomes current in say July 07, what happens, or should be done, on July 1 for a consular processing. Does National Visa Center send docs before (in anticipation) or after PD becomes current? For a Montreal CP, what would be the probable interview time-frame? Does future retrogression apply (prior to interview) on a CP case. Thanks in advance.