H1B Extension renewal for Canadian

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

bizkit

H1B Extension renewal for Canadian

Post by bizkit »

Hi,

I got my H1B extension last October and I'm going to Canada soon so I can get a stamp in my passport on the way back.

When I got my original H1B, I just went to the airport with the i797 form, filled out the I94 and that was it. My friends that are non-Canadians all had to go to US embassies in their countries.

Since US made the change requiring Canadians to have passports when entering the US, I was just wondering if they also changed the way Canadians can just show up at the border/airport with I797 form and get the H1B stamp?

Thanks!
Jim Eiss

Post by Jim Eiss »

Right, you only need to go to the border/airport. Canadians are still exempt visas for most nonimmigrant categories. By the way, you do not need to get any stamp on your passport. The extension is sufficient if the I-797 has the new I-94 attached at the bottom.
bizkit

Post by bizkit »

Thanks Jim.

Also I forgot to mention that I just renewed my passport so I'll have to get a new stamp in the new passport.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As Jim stated, you don't need anything in your passport to signify your status. Your I-94 by itself is sufficient.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D