TN Visa - Relocating to US - What do I need at the Border?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

bsheedy

TN Visa - Relocating to US - What do I need at the Border?

Post by bsheedy »

Hello,

I am a Canadian who has a valid TN Visa, Lives in Canada, works for a US employer with no Canadian offices. I am relocating to the US at the request of my employer to be closer to my customers.

We will be selling our house, and car, and will be keeping our Canadian bank accounts, RRSP's and credit cards. We are aware of the Dual Tax situation and do not want to risk the TN Visa. My wife has a TD Visa already.

The employer's immigration lawyer has stated that I can go to Houston, purchase a house, and remain there for one year, and renew my TN Visa before the expiry date for each year after. He has mentioned that I can safely cross the border under the TN Visa without issue - sounds too good to be true...

Question: My wife does not fly, so we are driving to Houston from Calgary. [b]What will I need to have on my possesion when we go to cross the Coutts, MT border?[/b]

From what I can gather, We will need:

- My TN Visa + Passport
- My Wife's TD Visa + Passport
- US Customs form 3299 (Declaration for free entry of unaccompanied articles - we will have a moving company transport)
- State to the customs officer that we have been temporarily relocated to Houston.

Much appreciated.
Brian Sheedy
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The custom form is not so important for you; your movers however need a copy of your TN and all the paperwork when THEY cross the border.

Your TM allows you to move to the US. Since you already have it, simply cross the border, staing that you are TN (and TD).

Your CAR is another issue to consider, as you need to formally import it at the border, and you must get a manufacturers letter to do this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bsheedy

Thanks

Post by bsheedy »

Thank you very much for your rapid response!

So, I only have to be honest with the customs officer, and tell them that I am temporarily relocating to Houston right?

Thanks!
Brian Sheedy
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You have to be honest. Your TN is by its very nature temporary.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You DO NOT have to maintain any Cdn ties to have a TN, though (unlike toursit visa).

All you need to do is ensure anyone that asks that you will leave US when your status expires. This covers you even if it is renerwed several times.

Resist the temptation to 'temporarily' import your car. Import it properly, or you will have insurance and registration problems once in US.
bsheedy

Thanks

Post by bsheedy »

We will be selling the car before we leave - and are having a fun time trying to find a rental company that will do a one way from Calgary to Houston.... :)

Thanks again!
Brian Sheedy
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your firm should be paying for this. let them worry about it.
bsheedy

Thanks

Post by bsheedy »

We will be selling the car before we leave - and are having a fun time trying to find a rental company that will do a one way from Calgary to Houston.... :)

Thanks again!
Brian Sheedy