What are they smoking at the Vermont Processing Center?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

What are they smoking at the Vermont Processing Center?

Post by 4432644260095117 »

My I-129 was approved on January 18th, and the new I-94 supposedly mailed the same day. As of today, my H.R. department had not received any documents from DHS; when they called Customer Service (yes, they actually got to talk to a real person!), the message was "yes, the petition was approved, no, we cannot tell you where the I-94 is until at least 30 days have lapsed - please call back next week".

And this is the center where my lawyer will be filing my I-485 (when the I-94 turns up, that is) - my TN extension is through November. It'll be kind of ironic if I run out of time due to Civil (lack-of)Service.
"I should've snuck across the Rio Grande."
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

44, may I call you 44,

... and your concern is?

If you need to leave the country, they can look up your approval in the system. you need a new I-94 when you come bacjk anyways.

If your not leaving the country, you've still got time left on the 240 days.

Call back after 30 days. In the meantime, I'd be checking with Hr (and this happens more than you'd think), I be willing to bet a pack of blank i-94s that they got it and filed it.

It's on Sheri's desk under her garfield mug.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D

Sure, call me 44, actually you can call me PO'd.

My concerns are:

(1) this is the same Processing Center that didn't return the original I-129 package (because of incorrect payment) until 4 WEEKS after they had gotten it

(2) my employer's Immigration Attorney is ready to file my I-485, but can't until he has a copy of my currrent I-94
(
3) I've spent the last 6 years working as an IT contractor at a Federal Government Agency, and NOTHING surprises me anymore about civil service incompetency

So, I was rather hoping that the next time I re-entered the country, I wouldn't need no stinkin' I-94. Like, it's only been 5 years since my LC was filed, eh?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1) All service centers are equally bad.

2) you can file I-485 without the I-94. You are in status.

3) See 1.

My PD is 03-May-2002.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

"Submit a copy of your Form I-94, Nonimmigrant Arrival/Departure Record, showing your admission to the UnitedStates and current status, or other evidence of your status."

OR is a pretty nice word.

In this climate of retrogression, I would have filed I-485 (and I-140 if not done yet) at the very moment my LC was approved and my PD was current.

Your lawyer gets paid either way, of course, probably more if the process is dragged out.

You should have an EAD and AP by now, not wasting time with I-129.

Well, let's see.....

My Priority Date became current early December, at which time my old I-94 had lapsed, and because of the 4-week goof-up I mentioned earlier, we didn't have a Notice of Receipt either.

Should've, could've, nothing much I can do really, particularly as the attorneys are calling the shots. Yesterday, I e-mailed them a PDF of the on-line Case Status page, so I guess they're looking at other workarounds. Also, my employer coughed up the extra bucks for premium processing, which should help.

** END OF THREAD **
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

as it stands, you have until the end of February to file I-485. We should know in the next 5 days whether you will still be able to file in March or not.

You are really on the edge, I hope they have EVERYTHING else for I-485 done right now.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... by the way, while we're all exorcised at USCIS, did your lawyers once work for them, too.

They misfiled your I-129, and can't figure out how to send an AOS, and convinced your boss to premium process something that didn't need it.