H1-B question about a new born!

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

wasagaming

H1-B question about a new born!

Post by wasagaming »

My wife is expecting in March. The baby will be born in Canada. I am however working in the States. I am on an H1-B and my wife and other chidlren are listed as dependents. What must I do to get my newborn listed as a dependent? I surely don't need to go to a US embassy/consulate in Canada, do I? Thanks!
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

In order to be claimed as dependents on your tax return, your wife and all of your children must have U.S. Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN's). These may be applied for through a certifying acceptance agent at the time your return is filed, or you may take completed forms W7 to an IRS office for certification. (We are certifying acceptance agents.)
Mark
wasagaming

Post by wasagaming »

Thanks... I will certainly make sure that we get an ITIN. However, I first need to get the newborn into the US. Do you or anyone reading this thread know if I need to go to an embassy to get the newborn registered as a dependent on my H1-B or is there another way? Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Cdns never need a consular visa stamp to enter US, except in rare cases (and H4 is not one of them).

Your newborn will get an H4 just like the others, at the border, when entering, with proof of your H1 and birth cert.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
wasagaming

Thanks!

Post by wasagaming »

Thank you! Thank you! These threads are a great service you provide to us.