TN - Change of Employer

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

NewtoUS

TN - Change of Employer

Post by NewtoUS »

I am currently working in US on TN Visa, which has been renewed for the first time valid through Jan 2008. I will most likely change my job to work with another employer this spring. I understand that I can have two TN visa at the same time, as I plan to get my 2nd TN visa approved before I quit my current job. My question is:

What is the best way to apply for the 2nd TN? I heard that I can either go to the POE and get the 2nd TN when re-entering US, or I can apply for the 2nd TN via mail. I prefer do it via mail. But when I talked with the future employer, they don't want to pay the $1,000 premium processing fees. How long will it take to get TN without premium processing? Are there any other things I need to be careful when applying for 2nd TN?

Another question is about my wife, who's also a canadian attending school in US as F1. After she finishes school, does she need to change her status to TD in order to stay? She can use opt or apply for TN if she can get a job, but can she stay in US as a tourist in the mean time?

Thanks in advance.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The simplest is to go to the border, without premium, I-129s are taking 4 to 6 MONTHS.

Once your wife is finished with F1, to remain in US, she must then either get a working visa (OPT, H1, or TN), or get a TD dependant visa.

She can't really get a tourist status, since she probablty would not be considered having sufficient residential ties in Canada.

She shpuld apply for TD the day she finishes school, unless she has a job already. She can then get a working status without leaving US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
NewtoUS

Thx

Post by NewtoUS »

nelsona, as always, thank you very much for your reply and the advice. I appreciate your sharing your expertise on all these issues. I benefited a lot from reading the messages and posting inquires at this site.
NewtoUS

Any difference between applying at POE and applying via mail

Post by NewtoUS »

Just heard from the new employer that they are willing to sponsor my 2nd TN. They will most likely do it via mail-in. My question is: is any difference between applying for 2nd TN at POE and mail-in application (with the premium processing) in terms of the possibility of approval? I might be just paronoid but want to make sure that I am taking the best track.

Another question is: the new employer told me not to notice my current TN employer about the leave until the 2nd TN is approved. I understand that I can have 2 TNs at the same time. Any other reason why they specifically told me that?

Thanks.
Webtiger

Post by Webtiger »

Simply because they do not want you out of status. If you give any notice to your current employer, before the 2nd TN is approved, and they fire you, release you, seperate you, and you stop working you are out of status.
The TN status is tied to work if you are not working you are out of status.
hofycykowu

Re: TN - Change of Employer

Post by hofycykowu »

PHPBB creating community forum is the messaging platform that can be used to be in touch with the other people. The board index has the topic of immigration of the united states members and https://essayreviewuniverce.com/bestessays-com-review/ is giving the commands regarding the change of employers in that era of time.
gyfoqal

Re: TN - Change of Employer

Post by gyfoqal »

thanks
One of the major looks is fit for the marks for all people. The features of the ponytail extensions are hurried for the moves. The path is fit for the host of the goals. Element is perspective-oriented for the change for humans.